Made a robot caddy and got a little carried away. He follows you around the course and makes generally fantastic commentary. He also flies over water and other hazards. I used some parts and sounds from Smokebreak. Then I thought…he needs a mouth and needs to blink and …oh. So I hand drew 16 or so mouth positions and they change when speaking. Then I hired a guy to do the voice-over and made him sound robotty… There is a short vid of him moving and talking below.
And I made a hitting range to practice swinging AND an indoor putting green. I have a plan, it will make sense. And it all looks really good! Almost ready to go back to coding the menus, testing the courses, and RELEASE. T minus 3 months!
And I made some make-believe logos and fictitious golf brands. Now I must resist making more robots (for now).
Almost finished another course named “Yonder”. It’s a secret military airport located in a valley complete with bunkers and a mountain entrance. Planes circle overhead, take off, and land. Satellite dishes and antennae dot the landscape. I have to make little tweaks to the greens but will do it this week. I am going back to programming next week and then it’s ALPHA time. Gotta test out the courses in VR.
Added Jasper Flats to the course line-up. It’s a horse farm. Complete with moving horses and a train…. because uh. And gigantic wind turbines for the green peoples.
I was going to make a farm, but with the brewery course that I made, now called “Bearboon” – I decided to make a horse farm stable thing instead. It looks great and it’s fully optimized. I’m getting 300+ fps on the computer. Now I am off to re-do the first prototype course. A Japanese theme with a dragon lake. This version will be a little more realistic and have a better scale. You live/program…you learn. Almost ready for play tweaking. Hoping to be in Alpha / Beta by August. WOW!
OK- I am 1/2 way through making courses. The release goal is 8. I have 4. I am really honing my techniques. Maybe someday I’ll be a pro-golf course designer…lol. Using some cool LOD techniques now and post-processing to give a more vivid look. The wind is working on trees and plants. And, I have birds and butterflies to start the wildlife.
I’ve done so much since my last post. I even have a multiplayer mode that works. Need to tweak it, but multiplayer will be offered. THIS IS HUGE. Took me almost two months of coding because I didn’t have a clue about multiplayer. But it WORKS!
Yuck – the color pallette without post-processing. OMG – that mini-map was such a pain, but, I figured it out. There is a lot of shader-magic going on here. And the above shot is from a play-test where I finally got it all working,
I find myself hitting the ball and then just watching the action on the camera and mini-map. So fun.
Then above is just a little taste of the hats that can be won and worn by your player. And yes you can show off your swag in multiplayer mode. Also- a little screenshot of my new Japanese maples in full wind and leaf glory. Sweet. Had to learn some 3-D max for the trees, but hey… what’re another 2 weeks?
And last, I just wanted to show what my course meshes look like, and above you can see the mesh in the game. OK… Gotta grind.
Finished the new UI system and it works… I decided to use the 2019 version since I was doing a complete rebuild and I’m glad I did. I couldn’t make a build on the old 2018 platform and I probably should have just made my own UI from the get go. Now, I am transferring over the environments and reducing draw calls to make the performance better for VR. It is going very well. I am looking forward to being able to transfer to an LTS version soon.
I am days away from making levels, only. .. hooray. The build times seem to be short and the load times seem small too. I have the audio from levels put into a singleton (it doesn’t die on load) – And that is great. Had problems with multiple singleton creation and now… no probs.
Now I am stepping into the arena with post processing to make the game look prettier. No new game footage to show yet, to the unknowing, it looks very similar. But, the old way was so buggy. Now no bugs. I know that the future will have little bugs and tweaks, bring it on.
I decided to scrap the system that running the game scores and menus. I was using an asset called game framework , but I modded the heck out of it and it was always giving me problems. I’m glad to say that I am 75% done with its replacement. It’s so much simpler, looks similar, does more things that I need in my game and it works and it is hard to break. I am currently working on the “cheat” system for testing so that I can, in VR, change the game parameters and fix any problems.
Looking back, I probably spent 3-4 months of dev time modding the game framework asset. I thought it would be the way to go, because I plan to make an android/ios version later and this asset was designed with mobile in mind. Anyway, I am glad that I am making my own custom solution. And, at least I learned a lot.
In other news, I have merged the new audio tracts into the game and I working on an audio system that allows dynamic controls of ambiance, fx, music, and menu sound levels. Sometimes, I think that I really didn’t have to do so much and could keep it so much simpler…but I like that the game feels like a complete experience with a story and real graphics and all the goodies.
Also, the logos of the worlds / jobs are in place. And… the mystery of the transition between scenes has been solved. And… my dev notes are updated to include the new game system. Now back to coding.